Bachelor Thesis in Flax

Hello to the entire Flax community!

I’m officially a Bachelor of Computer Science after successfully defending my thesis “Hybrid Scripting in Game Development: Case Study of Arcade Adventure Game in Flax Engine.” In the thesis, I created a Motherload-inspired game using, you guessed it, the Flax Engine. After months of work, I presented my work to the committee last week and received a nomination for the competition for the best works at the PJAIT. I’m very proud of the results and would like to thank the Flax community for the support.

Here’s the abstract:

This thesis presents the results of the devel opment of a 2D arcade action-adventure game, utilizing the Flax game engine and various software engineering techniques.
The paper begins with an overview of the game and a brief analysis of the current state of video game market. It highlights the significance of casual games and their availability across different platforms, followed by a comparison of game engines.
The next chapter outlines the game design challenges the project aims to address and discusses patterns observed in other games within the genre.
The subsequent section lays the foundation for understanding the technical intricacies involved in implementation of the game. It introduces the reader to the Flax game engine by detailing its features. Then employed software engineering techniques are used to plan and develop the game’s source code. This includes the use of three distinct scripting languages: C++, C# and visual scripting.
The paper concludes by describing the potential of hybrid scripting in game development, followed by game areas that will be subjects of future work. It also provides recommendations for the game engine authors and envisions the future of Flax.
Ultimately, this paper contributes to the field of game development by demonstrating the complexities involved in the entire process of creating a game.

A video of gameplay is accessible under this link.

I would be very happy to share the paper with the community. It includes various aspects like the motivation behind the project and the detailed development process. It is accompanied by game build and the source. Unfortunately, due to legal reasons, I can’t share it now. However, as I understand, a virtual copy may be available in the future. For now, the only reliable way of accessing it is by contacting the university and reading it on-site in the library in Warsaw (more info). If more details become available, I will let you know.

My plans for the future include continuing to work on the game, expanding it with new features and content, and eventually, publishing it. This, however, will also take some time. I would also love to write more articles. But for now, I’m going to take a break.

Thank you for your attention and support. Expect more updates!

Best regards

8 Likes