Cannot load scene, game script module is missing

Hi all, taking this engine for a spin and getting an error right after opening a new project. It says that it can’t open a scene because the game script modules are missing. I did a search on here and decided to look into the log file and I found this:

[ 00:00:02.221 ]: [Info] Building C# only
Building target GameEditorTarget in Development for Windows x64
[ 00:00:02.257 ]: [Info] Building referenced target Flax
[ 00:00:04.491 ]: [Info] Failed to save file B:\uroboros\Uroboros\Source\Game.Gen.cs
Exception: Access to the path 'B:\testgame\Source\Game.Gen.cs' is denied.
Stack trace:
[ 00:00:04.493 ]: [Info]    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.File.InternalWriteAllText(String path, String contents, Encoding encoding, Boolean checkHost)
   at Flax.Build.Utilities.WriteFileIfChanged(String path, String contents)
   at Flax.Build.Bindings.BindingsGenerator.GenerateCSharp(BuildData buildData, IGrouping`2 binaryModule)
   at Flax.Build.Bindings.BindingsGenerator.GenerateBindings(BuildData buildData)
   at Flax.Build.Builder.BuildTargetNativeCppBindingsOnly(RulesAssembly rules, TaskGraph graph, Target target, Dictionary`2 buildContext, Platform platform, TargetArchitecture architecture, TargetConfiguration configuration)
   at Flax.Build.Builder.BuildTargets()
   at Flax.Build.Program.Main()
Total time: 00:00:03.1828140
[ 00:00:04.527 ]: [Info] Editor end init

I just wanted to check out here since the developer seems active. I’m not super knowledgeable on window’s permissions but it could be because I have a separate hard drive that I store all my projects on.

It looks like a permissions issue. Maybe you’ve created this file as Admin and now it cannot be accessed with Normal privileges. You could try removing this file and relaunching Editor again.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, it was a permissions issue. The solution was to go to security in the file properties and enable access for all users. Could this just be an issue personal to me or be connected to starting the editor from the launcher run from admin? I know the launcher requests to be run with admin privileges to install or update the editor.

In a past, we’ve had a problem that Launcher after engine install/update was opening Flax Editor as admin but a year ago it was fixed to run the editor as a normal user to prevent such problems.
Glad to hear that it works fine now.

1 Like

No it doesn’t work. Creating a simple, default scene, anywhere on my PC, will run into this error if I try to open that scene: game script modules missing.
I have the latest 1.7.1 on Win 10 x64, I’m admin, I can’t see any good reason for a failure like this to exist in your engine. And if having access to the most basic functionality of the engine is plagued by errors, that’s quite concerning, I bet, to anyone new to Flax.

Are you getting the same error in the output log?