Roles of C++ and C# in Flax

Hey there everyone! I am new to Flax and the Forum.
I have been enjoying my time in Flax pretty much and I am currently having a thorough read of the documentation. I am a bit confused regarding the role of C++ in Flax. In the documentation I found this:

Does this mean, C++ scripts cannot be attached to Actors for this purpose at runtime? I am trying to keep myself within C++ since I do not know C#, so was wondering if both languages have the same reach within Flax , meaning that I can do everything in C++ and Visual Scripting, or is there functionality of the engine that can only be accessed with C#? Thanks!

1 Like

No, there really isn’t anything that you can perform with c Sharp that you can’t do with c++, it’s just a matter of preference

2 Likes

notes of the experience I had:
Found the c++ scripting side to be more work because of the ‘only use what you see’ space.
the c# side feels like shorthand with a few extras.
A math helper function on the C# side I couldn’t find a C++ equivalent (RotateAround btw…).
Compile times did seem a bit snappier for C++.
In most all cases, it’s true. The c# naming matches the c++ naming with decoration in some cases.

The C++ content script object attaches visually just like the dragging in of the C# object to an Actor.
Seemed to act as expected at runtime.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the prompt response. I am glad to know there is virtually full feature parity between both C++ and C#. However, I believe I didnt get this part:

What is that about? Is it about namespaces? Thanks!

1 Like

I said it wrong…didn’t I. :slight_smile:
“include-only-what-you-see”
C++ Scripting | Flax Documentation (flaxengine.com)

I suppose the way I see it is, there is C# to get it done fast or ‘fail fast’, then C++ for when it’s ready to go fast. I’ll admit, I should have not skimmed the next bit in the docs about the common types.
map wasn’t a problem or an array type and understandably string types, it’s List to something c++ish that trips me up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, I see! Thank you very much! It is much more clear now. :smiley:
Thanks! :+1:

1 Like