What engine did you come from?, etc. (Survey)

Heyyo, @Spectrix here. I was interested in where most of the Flax community was coming from, and what kind of developers the were. So I put together this survey in poll form. Enjoy telling the Flax community about yourself and learning about others!

What engine(s) do you have experience in?
  • Flax Engine
  • Unity
  • Unreal Engine
  • Godot
  • GameMaker
  • Other

0 voters

What engine did you come from?
  • Flax is my first!
  • Unity
  • Unreal Engine
  • Godot
  • GameMaker
  • Other

0 voters

What is your favorite engine?
  • Flax Engine
  • Unreal Engine
  • Godot
  • Unity
  • GameMaker
  • Other

0 voters

How old are you?
  • 0-18
  • 18-21
  • 21-30
  • 30-40
  • 40-50
  • 50-60
  • 60+

0 voters

How many years have you been into gamedev?
  • 5+

0 voters

How many years have you been into programming?
  • 5+

0 voters

How has your experience with Flax been?
  • Perfect! It’s the engine I’ve always wanted!
  • Very good
  • Average
  • Acceptable
  • Poor
  • Very Bad

0 voters

Please tell us a little more about yourself in the comments! If you can’t find your game engine on these polls, please tell us about it in the comments as well! Remember, we’re not here to debate over which engines are better, just about which ones we enjoy working in. Stay friendly!

I’m surprised to see so many coming from Unity, and am curious to know why. I installed Unity, but never tried it.

I’m an old school chap, so I go way back - Way way back. Back into time. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

So I tried…

• Reality Factory
  • Conitec 3D Gamestudio A6
  • Blitz 3D
  • 3D Rad
  • GameMaker 6
  • Panda 3D

I completed a couple games in GameMaker… as a hobbyist, and I was working on a big one in Panda 3D, when my hard drive crashed, and my files were corrupted.

I loved working with the Python language. Loved it!

Game maker was good. Only, I fell in love with 3D, so it was a bit lacking, as my characters had round shoulders, elbows, knees and hips. Lol… but it was easy to use. :smiley:

I probably didn’t use Gamestudio very long. I don’t remember why.

Blitz 3D was terrible. A lot of glitches.

However, I did a lot of programing in Visual Studio, but not for games, just creating little tools to make my life easier.
For example, I made a program that automatically made splatmaps, and textures of tons of files that would have taken weeks to do manually… little tools like that.

I only left Panda 3D because the latest engines made me lazy with editors, that allow for just dropping objects into the game without coding. Saves a lot of time. :smiley:

Oh, I also tried Urho 3D, but the editor was poor, so I abandoned that.

An engine I tried and really liked a lot, was Atomic Game Engine. I was sad to hear that development stopped and was abandoned. That engine had promise, and would probably have been the best, in my books.
It was very lightweight, with pleasing cross-platform. The examples said a lot about the engine.

Tried JMonkey Engine too, and maybe a few I forgot. Like I said… old school chap.

I am going to use Armory 3d along with Flax Engine, and see which I like better. I like the fact that Blender does everything I need, and I want to take up the challenge of proving everyone wrong, who puts down Armory 3D. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Edit:
Oh, I forgot, Since I have been running Flax, my computer restarts for no apparent reason. I am doing a process of elimination to determine if Flax is the problem.
Has anyone experienced this?

1 Like