Flip Y wrong behaviour

Hi there,

Flip Y should invert the green channel of the normal map. But it seems that it flips the normal map along the Y axis. In which case it no longer aligns with the other textures. Is this a known bug?

Thank you!

1 Like

Ah right. it flips just the coordinates right now. It should flip Y channel contents for normal maps adjusting. Thanks for reporting this!

1 Like

In the meantime everyone who needs to change the handedness of a normal map can simply use a material function.

Hi Flax. This is still an issue in 1.5.6339. It flips both the Green Channel and the entire Normal Map.

We need to be able to have the Normal Map behave properly on import. Flip Y is fine since almost all Normal Map creation is via OpenGL and not DirectX.

Note: Historically DirectX was from the Tangent Space stuff with DirectX 9 era (think Bethesda (old…Maybe Starfield using Creation Engine 2 is not OpenGL??), Epic UE3/UE4/UE5)…UE4 for example left their Normal Map the way they were doing it and never updated it. So they perpetuated it. Same with their coordinate system. Interesting post by Tim Sweeney on this. OpenGL is the agreed standard for handling Normals since it is not only Windows (license) based.

In my opinion it would be better to fix it once internally and use OpenGL as the standard import and Flax can invert the Y internally by default. If one of the very few DirectX Normal Map creators they can use the Flip Y option in Flax to invert. This would be very rare now though.

In any case. Please fix this Flip Y issue.

Side note on this. It would be nice if the Normal Maps were showing as the ‘Normal’ blue color instead of the missing channel and showing as green.

Update on this.

1.6 the material is not working correctly. Pack/Unpack Vector3 is no longer available. Pack/Unpack Float3 is but does not work the same.

@mafiesto4 Any good material function solution to this until it can be fixed in Flax itself?

My old brain clicked and tried a different method of OneMinus. Not sure if OneMinus has a bug or not but converting the material function below does the correct inversion of the green channel (Y) for normal maps.

Whew! I was worried about having to recreate thousands of NMs. lol!

For 1.6

2 Likes