Questions about shaders and Materials

Hello, I have 2 questions

1. if we create a custom shader directly in the “/shaders” folder with a text editor can we only use it using a script? I mean is there a way to connect it with a new material?

2. when we create an instance of a material with parameters, is there a way to use the same instance on 2 objects and edit the parameters for each objects from the inspector? Let’s say one has color red and the second color blue or do I need to duplicate the instance and assign a different instance to each objects ? (after testing it seems more that I need 2 instances)

Hello,

about the first question I would say yes you can, with a script and a material instance (I don’t know if there is another or better way), using a GPUTexture and setting it as render target and then pass this texture to the material instance.
As a quick example, taking the Custom Geometry Drawing tutorial and modifying it a bit to add the GPUTexture.
test

This other tutorial, HOWTO: Render FPS weapon, has an example using a GPUTexture.

As for the second point, if I understood it correctly it would be something like Custom Primitive Data from unreal engine, but I don’t know if it can be done.

reading again the first question, now I don’t know if you want to skip the script part or if what I commented is useful for you. If what I said doesn’t work for you, I hope you find the answer.

Thank you for your reply, I came from an Engine where you basically derive a shader to make a material, I can see here the flax philosophy is much more low level, so certainly more powerful but needs more of a learning curve, it will certainly help if we could have both options into the material editor for using visual shader or simply text editor and then drap & drop the material into an actor, so I will dig the documentation more and try to understand the low level programming of the render pipeline in flax :slight_smile:

You currently cannot use plain shader code as a material to apply to meshes. In flax the “material” is the “shader” in unity, and “material instance” is “material” in unity

(post deleted by author)

There is “Custom shader” node for hlsl code.