Switching From Unity to Flax

Or I could go use an engine that is already thoroughly documented. We don’t need a use case for every single key just one general use case.

Unity’s documentation for keyboard input:

2 Likes

There are example or samples FPS and TPS etc. See those code. Godot is waste of time if you are going for 3D. Instead use Unreal Engine. Flax Documentation may be improved in upcoming update. Just email the Developers. Your email can save lots of new comers time

Trust me , Unreal Engine 4.x and 5.x are not fully documented.
Yes there are plenty of tutorials indeed but don’t expect any to be really complete to become productive quickly.
Coding with spaghetti BluePrint stuff is far from quick and good, it is helpful for small codes but if you need to create complex algorithms it becomes a nightmare.
The APIs there are not fully documented either. And on the forums the advice you would get is to just look at the source code even if that means wandering thru millions of lines with very few comments that keep changing at each release with many stuff getting deprecated.
If you buy assets on the Unreal Engine Marketplace you can be productive in a short time. Otherwise you might end up spending even more time building your own algorithms for mechanics and anything else that you would with the Flax Engine.
For Unreal Engine the last mostly stable release so far remains 4.27.2 while UE 5.x releases are far from stable anyway.

I think that if Unity Asset Store sellers started porting their own plugins to Flax and selling those on Gumroad for now until Flax got up their own store then the Flax Engine might become quicker at productivity than Unreal Engine, which has a large Marketplace with a lot of assets/plugins to speedup coding.

2 Likes

In just the short time I have spent looking through Flax I can see that it’s a very nice engine but has never been battle tested (I have yet to see any game at all.) I also see a real need for Flax assets that provide nice frameworks for kickstarting games. Unity is filled with them and are great time savers, and I believe, have helped expand its market. I am weighing whether it would be worthwhile for me to start creating some to sell for Flax. When I considered developing some assets for Unity I figured it wasn’t worth the effort since it’s too saturated and I’d rather work on my game. At this time we were planning on releasing some mobile 2D games to fund our main projects. If I were to move to Flax I would need to create some frameworks, anyways. I may do so after our mobile games are released and if a store is implemented by then. I definitely would love to see Flax succeed and become a valid alternative to Unity (and other engines.)

I am still looking at what engines to use for my mobile games…

Edit to add: I finally noticed the discord link. More Flax information over there and it seems pretty busy with new Unity refugees…

2 Likes

That is what I was afraid of, the main reason I am here.

A (potential) Unity refugee here.

For me Flax is unfortunately not an option: for the lack of OpenXR (or native VR/MR/AR/xR) support.

I see that it has been in the trello todo list since 2016, but… has not seen much love :(.
Forum thread and trellu.

Unfortunately.

Otherwise Flex seems to have great potential.

1 Like

i think we are too unity dependent (as someone previously said), moving to another game engine is now a downgrade for us, even moving to unreal because now we need to speed down in order to learn the new workflow and code and stuffs so whatever you choose it will be the same, i agree that an engine should make everything you need to export a game easy because create games is not about setting enviroments or things like that xD but, i also agree the is cool (and needed) to have that knowledge

Is ok you did not do wrong… i’m normally a good mood guy, is just this week that sucks and as you said i’m hear broken and heavily worried about my project :slight_smile:

1 Like

May be we all are disappointed by Unity. Even sometimes I think I should go back to Unity. But dont feel safe. I can’t trust Unity but at the same time we all have spent years learning it. What should we do, Unity says “90% of our cutomers will not be effected”., Should we move back to Unity ??
I think if we use Flax it will be a good Option due to.

1. No Made with Unity Logo
  2. 4% on successful earning (250,00$ or above)
  3. C++ and C# two languages
  4. Lightweight
  5. All features ready to use, No Plus or Pro
    Many More !!

I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have posted what I did. Thanks for being mature about it.

2 Likes

What do you think about this engine. Like performance features, and documentation ?

So far its been pretty good. I like the simplicity and speed of the engine. Working with materials, on my decade old computer, is a blessing compared to UE5, havent build any complex matireals yet tho.
I really like how seamless input system for keyboard and gamepad is, less time to setup so you can work on actual design.
Default post processing is real nice, dont have to mess with plugins or pipelines like you would do in unity, one out of the box solution is always nice
Documentation definitely could use work. For example i couldn’t find what normal map format the engine is using (its DirectX), also you can’t scroll that list on the right in the API manual and have to use Ctrl+F or scroll for eternity

There are small bugs here and there, you can check bug reporting github page for that, but i managed to find workarounds for those i’ve encountered.
Thats kinda my first day experience of exploring the engine.

2 Likes

I’ve been considering Flax Engine for a long time, but ended up starting to learn Unity. Well, after a few years of trying Unity and not being entirely happy with it, I recently installed Flax and I’m impressed.

I’ve been exploring Flax for about a week now and I think the Flax core is much better designed than Unity. The editor is lightweight and fast and there are no unnecessary things in it.

In terms of features, in many ways Flax surpasses Unity

• async Hot-reload C# scripts in background
  • unified Graph Editors interface
  • good animation system Animation Graph
  • automatic LOD mesh generation when importing models
  • integrated jobs multi-threading system
  • you can also work with Json data assets similar to Scriptable Objects in Unity
  • Visual Script has a built-in debugger also with breakpoints, and in case of errors in Visual Scripts, Flax writes the faulty nodes in the console
  • realtime DDGI with SDF and Raytracing software
  • good graphics features
  • no overengineered and complicated systems like in Unity (3 Render Pipelines, DOTS, unfinished GTF and many others)
  • publicly available source code in github

Of course, Flax Engine also has bugs (like any other software), but they seem to be working on it.

I watched Roadmap and plans for Flax looks nice. The only thing I’m missing here is some equivalent to Cinemachine, that’s very well done in Unity, especially in version 3. Also, Audio has only basic functionality for now, but it is in the roadmap and they plan to improve it. We will see what the future will show.

I agree that the documentation is incomplete, not everything is documented.

I’m already looking forward to the next versions of Flax (Behavorial Trees and Cloth are coming in 1.7 versions). It looks like the developers are working hard and really mean it.

Flax have great potential. I will definitely stick with it.

3 Likes

So, Lets email the developers and let them know about documentation issue. In next update they will provide the documentation with examples if we request them. Or Discuss this issue with them on Discord.

1 Like

I am also impressed by Flax. I was also waiting for Godot 4 but disappointed. Same 3D lag even with a good pc and there are lots of bugs. Performance was so bad. So, I came to YouTube and there was a video about Flax. I installed it and it was very smooth. Not very much like Unity or Unreal but it is going to be the new competitor very soon. Updates from 1.3 to 1.6 just took my whole attention there.
Its like a little Unreal Engine. Great Engine !! You can use it for free for your Personal Projects. And for Commercial (upto 250,000$) and then pay 4% royalty.
(Sorry for my bad English)

1 Like

I will add a small note. When it comes to bugs, there is an option to install the master-branch version in the launcher. I tried Visual Script in version 1.6 and there were some problems with editor crashes and then I installed the master-branch version, those problems with editor crashes have been removed. Master-branch versions are daily builds.

1 Like

That’s great man

can master-branch versions build to android? i have that version but there is not option to select the targets

You guys should definitely join the discord if you are having issues, help is quite fast there!
Anyways, I’ve been working with Flax due to its fast development, how easy it is to add new code, and the fact that its so fast. It definitely has many rough edges to smooth out, and the experience can be much improved, but devs appear to be working on it (including me :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Master-branch is the same version, which is on github and is updated daily.

When I saw Flax Engine after the Unity dumpster fire that made me start my search, I liked the way it looked. Installed it and tried to set up a quick scene with models, post-processing, etc. Truly impressed! Only took a few minutes! I wish I found Flax 6 years ago!

7 Likes